Scotland might be a nation known for its rich history in the maritime industry, but the Cutty Sark is especially legendary. Built on the famous River Clyde in 1869, it was the work of top craftsman of the era. It served as one of the fastest ships not powered by steam on the market and served as one of the quickest tea clippers ever built. Indeed, she held the record time for a British transport for a decade. The Cutty Sark is a rich naval ship that comes with an immense history and performance.
If you are serious about enjoying a more history-driven form of furniture, this ship replica is an ideal choice for collectors and lovers of history alike. At 1:76 scale, this ship model delivers the history and strength of the Cutty Sark right into your home.
As the name implies, the Cutty Sark is a ship with a very interesting history. Though it was made to design and improve trade routes across the sea, her journey is very interesting indeed. First designed in 1869, the ship was put together by Hercules Linton. She was a major part of Scottish shipbuilding and was designed for Captain John Willis. The Cutty Sark was a major trade model and was very fast despite her incredible size. Indeed, she used to race with other ships to make sure that she could reach China and get her tea delivered first. Also, the Cutty Sark managed to get into rapid races with the likes of Thermopylae, doing so in 1872. The two ships left Shanghai together, on June 18th 1872, but the Cutty Sark ran into trouble. She arrived in London a week after its competitor, after losing her rudder when passing through the Sunda Strait. Despite this, she was only a week short of her needed time – despite navigating the ship with a rudder of questionable quality. Even more impressively, she even managed to run from Australia to Britain in just over 67 days. It was, despite her size, a ship of incredible speed, reaching speeds as high as 666km in a single day.
The ship was eventually renamed the Ferreira, after she was sold to the Portuguese firm of the same name. She was dismasted, sold and then re-rigged in 1916, and was renamed again; this time the Maria do Amparo. She was restored to originality by Captain Wilfred Dowman who used the ship as a training ship. The Cutty Sark was eventually moved to Greenwich, where she resides in a bespoke dry dock, in 1954. It’s now a major part of the naval display down there, still many people to look at one of the last truly great tea clippers.